Have you ever wondered what the fastest and slowest street-legal cars ever produced were? Wonder no more.
The absolute doggiest dog ever foisted on college students was the 1968 Fiat 850 Idromatic. See photo above. It even LOOKS sad, doesn't it? It seems to be saying, "Please shoot me. Please don't humiliate me anymore by drag-racing me with VW Beetles." No?
Here are the poor Idromatic's pathetic stats:
1. Quarter Mile in 23.0 seconds. 0-60 MPH (0-97 KPH) = 25.4 seconds
Following is the entire "top" 10 list for the slowest cars of all time:
- 68 Fiat 850 Idromatic 0-60 mph 25.4 Quarter mile 23.0
- 73 VW Super Beetle Convertible 0-60 mph 23.7 Quarter mile 22.2
- 74 Datsun B210 Coupe 0-60 mph 22.5 Quarter mile 24.5
- 79 Volkswagen Rabbit (Diesel) 0-60 mph 21.2 Quarter mile 21.9
- 81 Cadillac Seville (Diesel) 0-60 mph 20.9
- 80 Audi 5000S Diesel 0-60 mph 20.3 Quarter mile 21.6
- 81 Audi 5000S Diesel 0-60 mph 20.4
- 68 Fiat 850 Spider 0-60 mph 19.9 Quarter mile 21.4
- 64 Austin-Healey 3000 MK II 0-60 mph 19.8
- 72 Fiat Wagon 0-60 mph 19.0 Quarter mile 21.2
And the top 10 fastest cars which are (supposedly) legal to drive on the streets. Somewhere.
- 02 Lingenfelter Chevrolet Corvette 0-60 mph 1.97 Quarter mile 9.1
- 02 Viper Hennessey Venom 1000TT 0-60 mph 2.2 Quarter mile 9.4
- 06 Buggati Veyron EB16.4 0-60 mph 2.7 Quarter mile 10.7
- 08 Ariel Atom 500 0-60 mph 2.8
- 12 Nissan GT-R 0-60 mph 2.9 Quarter mile 11.1
- 06 Mosler MT900 S 0-60 mph 3.0 Quarter mile 10.9
- 06 Koenigsegg CCR 0-60 mph 3.1 Quarter mile 10.7
- 07 Noble M400 0-60 mph 3.2 Quarter mile 11.6
- 02 Ferrari Enzo 0-60 mph 3.3 Quarter mile 11.2
- 97 McLaren F1 0-60 mph 3.3 Quarter mile 11.5
I used to drive a Citroen 2CV. It achieved 0-60 mph in one day.ReplyDelete
I was very fond of that car.
1968 Series IIa Land Rover Station-Wagon, retrofitted with a Perkins 4203 diesel engine... probably out of an "Iron-Fairy" crane, 0-60 time.....infinity?ReplyDelete
The diesel engine's injection pump bounced off the rev limiter at 56mph.
Standing quarter? No idea, the timekeeper got bored and went home before it got there.
Eventually we took pity on it and ripped its grimy old heart out, to make space for a 3.5 litre V8, which gave it an altogether more lively outlook.
@A. - It sounds like you and your Citrus had a good relationship: you could pretend you were driving a car and your boyfriend could still walk you home at the same time. :) Wasn't that called the "Mosquito?" Maybe I am thinking of citronella.ReplyDelete
@Soubriquet - I don't think home-made cars made the list. They had to have been made by some diabolical car factory so that thousands could suffer. Your Land Rover sounds interesting, though. Actually, I have never in my life heard anything bad about Land Rovers, except once now. :) But then, we only saw them in Tarzan movies.
Lara Croft/Angelina Jolie had one in the Tomb Raider movie.ReplyDelete
One what? She had two, no? Oh, the car.ReplyDelete